!!> Reading ➵ Mr. Tambourine Man: The Life and Legacy of the Byrds' Gene Clark ➭ Author John Einarson – Chainnews.us

Mr. Tambourine Man: The Life and Legacy of the Byrds' Gene ClarkGene Clark Soared To Fame As A Founding Member And Frontman Of The Byrds, One Of The Most Important And Influential Groups Of The 60s His Songwriting With The Byrds And Subsequent Work As A Solo Artist And With Dillard Clark Mark Him As One Of Rock S Key Innovators And A Pioneer Of Folk Rock, Psychedelia, And Alt Country Yet Clark S Personal Demons Shadowed Him Throughout His Life, And Until Now His Legacy Has Been Clouded In Mystery Told Through The Personal Recollections Of Those Closest To Clark, Mr Tambourine Man Offers A Rare Glimpse Into His Life And Work, A Revealing Portrait Of One Of Rock S Greatest Bands, And A Cautionary Tale Of The Pitfalls Of Fame Endorsed By The Gene Clark Estate, The Book Also Features Rare And Previously Unseen Photos From Family And Friends.

• Paperback
  • Mr. Tambourine Man: The Life and Legacy of the Byrds' Gene Clark
  • John Einarson
  • 01 November 2017

10 thoughts on “Mr. Tambourine Man: The Life and Legacy of the Byrds' Gene Clark

This book was a revelation to me.Leaps and bounds beyond the handful of rock musicbiographies I ve read both for its encyclopedic thoroughness and the deep compassion the authorextends his subject and even to the many sourceshe cultivates in telling his story.The results the heartbreaking rise and fall of a gi...

John Einarsen s approach is comprehensive, cogent, and fiercely driven by fact Gene would love this book, as do I.

A while ago I found a section of my local library that I had been unaware of Rock Biography Over the years I ve read and enjoyed many books in this genre the most interesting perhaps being Sting s Broken Music Taken in a concentrated dose, however, there is a certain gloomy sameness about many of them.The current opus is a case in point I see that other reviewers rate it highly and from an objective stand point I have no reason to disagree But although Gene Clark wrote some of my favourite songs, I found this book even depressing than Hank Bordowitz s Bad Moon Rising.It would certainly be rash to judge anyone on the basis of a single biography that may be biased, incomplete or simply incompetent although I notice that this one has the endorsement of his estate which presumably includes his family.And obviously no one can be blamed either for having bipolar disorder if indeed this was the case or for fear of flying Nor can I even say with these reservations, that of the parade of egocentric drink and drug sodden oafs filing past me on the printed page over the past few weeks, Gene Clark appears to be the most selfish the competition is much too stiff for that As depicted here, though, he would certainly seem ...

I am a fan of John Einarson Loved his previous books on Buffalo Springfield and the Guess Who Going into his book, I probably knew about the Gene Clark story, without being too familiar with his music I had heard all his Byrds tracks who hadn t and had picked up the No Other album on vinyl after hearing and loving the mysterious title track on 70 s FM radio I was also aware, from prior articles in magazines like Mojo and Uncut, of how he reached his slow, sad demise Now, having read the book and listened to a lot of his tracks thank you Sp...

Heartbreaking story of Gene Clark of The Byrds Another example of a music genius gone pretty much unnoticed throughout his career and after reading this, I ve learned why This deprssed the hell out of me which isn t necessarily a bad thing Recommended

I enjoyed it has kind of a train wreck appeal of frustratingly familiar tragedy Talented artist, achieves celebrity, then is handed serial golden opportunities which he serially squanders via self sabotaging character flaws, indulgence of addictions, and surrounding himself with the same.

Oh, those heady days of being young and rich in Hollyweird I never knew DOUG DILLARD was such a wild man If only Gene had stayed away from the substances

This is a good story about another tragic victim of the 60 s 70 s LA music scene.

Very good life story of a troubled but brilliant musician

Sad story of a talented guy.